Left(y) in the city





Owing to my experiences, I think being a lefty is nothing less than committing a crime.



As a lefty, I am discriminated all the time. Not for serious things though. I am not denied food, education or a seat in the bus.



But I experience anti-lefty bias in the behaviour of people in my surroundings who barely miss a chance to show their attitudes. I can’t forget how much did I suffer through out my school days as they would grant me desks that are unusable. I wouldn't deny that even my friends had to suffer as they had to deal with the I-am-the lefty- so-gimme-the-cornerseat tantrum of mine!



 I remember my board exams when I was given a right-handed desk and how difficult it was for me to finish my paper on it, thanks to the abnormal desk (or abnormal me!).



The worst part is people’s reaction to it. They say, “Oh my God, you really are a lefty? How is that?” As if it was I who decided it.



I simply reply, “The same way you are a righty,sweetheart”, which is enough to let them shut up!



I take my left-handedness as a gift of nature as it is a scientifically proven fact that lefties use both the sides of their brain whereas righties use only the left part. Maybe this is the reason why some of them talk stupid!



Although my parents never forced me to write with my right hand, there were a few jobless relatives who would ask my parents to force me to become a right-hander.



I often think who would I be if I was right-handed? Not the same person. Left-handedness is part of my identity, my self.



I would sooner cut off my right arm than be converted to right-handedness; as strong a statement as that is, left-handedness is so integral a part of me that I could not imagine living otherwise.



(Published in The Gulf Today on April 23, 2016)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts